Saturday, 20 February 2010


Ever have that one thing in your life, that when you do it, the whole world just fades away and you are taken to a place where no one can touch you? I have that place, and I find it whenever I dance and sing.

I've always loved dancing and singing. Ever since I was a child, I would belch out Madonna or Whitney Houston songs at the top of my little lungs and dance around the room pretending that I were on stage in front of my fans. Never mind the fact that I didn't have a great voice. I was in love with dancing and singing, and whenever I did it, I felt an air of magic around me.

I grew up. And for six years of my grade school, I was a member of the convent choir and The Glee Club. I've had my moments. I did solo, trained by the four fingers of the "Mother Superior" stuck to my mouth. Until she gave up on me because I could not simply follow her strict rules of no sweets and ice cream. Oh dear heaven, it isn't a sin to have sweet tooth, right? I lost my stardom in singing. Although I continued to reign in dancing, and the spotlight was on me when I acted in a play. Of course, the stage has become my world. Yet it didn't matter if I were only in the background. But the only thing that meant to me was the chance to get up and do what I love most in the world. 

I still remember what my mom told me, almost in quiet submission, as I was in the middle of a big fight with her. "You weren't born in this world just so you could sing or dance, nor act. You were born to do greater things!" Boy, did that shut me up. That even when the time came I had to choose my college course, she never approved of my desire to pursue a degree in Theather Arts.

But being the willful and rebellious daughter that I am, I went on to audition for a band that were composed of my friends. I started sneaking out to do gigs, and at first I was completely hooked. The adrenaline rush you get on stage, the feeling of the audience singing with you, the nonstop high of being on a constant rush. I loved everything about it.

Then something happened, I lost my passion for singing. Somewhere along the way it had become something I HAD to do, not something I wanted to do anymore. Singing had changed for me, and I didn't like that the magical world I used to find whenever I sang became a place of dread.

I quit the band. I started singing for myself again. Instead I devoted myself to a youth band of our school's Catholic ministry and church community. Every time I sing I close my eyes, because the world I know, with all its craziness and uncertainty, disappears... and in its place is this wonderful heaven that I call my own. I sing, I dance, I cry in praise, worship and adoration. So with the people. 

When I need to feel loved, I dance and sing.

Whether I'm soaring with happiness or breaking down with loneliness, I dance and sing.

Whatever emotion my heart carries, comes out of me through a song and graceful movements of the body.

Singing is a part of my life, dancing as well. It is an expression of who I am.

Now, I sing for an intimate number of people only. And whenever I get in front of an audience, I want them to listen that I'm not singing an empty song. I'd like to take them to my magical world, even for just a moment, through a song. And, although I rarely dance these days, the ups and downs of life never stop the rhythm it has me. The twist and turn of fate, soon will be a grand jete of bliss and more music.

Mwahugs,
Boyeng <3

No comments: