Saturday, 12 June 2010

These are a few of my favorite food.

Champorado
Filipino chocolate porridge. It is said that the Filipino champorado was inspired by the Mexican chocolate drink called 'champurrado'. And over the years, we managed to make it our own by adding rice. How do you like your champorado? I always have mine with this...

Pan de sal
I have so many fond memories of going to church in early Sunday mornings and buying a fresh warm bag of pan de sal on the way home. And our Ma won't live a day without these bread at the table.

Pork Adobo
Though my friends love  my chicken adobo because it's what I usually prepare. And oh, our Ma's kangkong adobo (swamp cabbage) is to die for. Ma's adobo recipes are different from my own, but I do sometimes follow her concoction, on how she mixed her own marinade and stew the meat in vinegar.

Shrimp Sinigang
I can't help but my mouth waters as the word sinigang is mentioned. It is made of sour broth that is most often with tamarind, but there are other versions of this dish which derive its sourness flavor from other ingredients. Such as, my aunt cooks her best pork sinigang/ox tail stew in varies of calamansi, tamarind and raw mango.

Lechon
Still originated from Spain, a very popular cuisine that entails a whole pig roasted over charcoal. It is served here with a special sauce from Mang Tomas.

Lechon Kawali
Chopped pieces of pork deep fried in a pan or wok.


Bulalo
This consists of beef shanks and vegetables. The hotter the better. It is best complemented by the marrow that is tapped out of the bone. This beef bone marrow soup is a specialty of the cattle-raising region in the province of Batangas.


Braised beef


Sisig
I was never really a fan of this dish when I was in the Philippines. Because I do frill at the idea of eating innards of animals, lest the pig's brain, ears and liver! But when I came here in Japan, a friend of my aunt's stayed with us for two years, and she's quite a good hand in the kitchen. She used to cook our meal. But when I saw her how she prepared her own concoction in meticulous manner. Boiling, then broiling, finally frying. I thought having to taste sisig is torture, the process of this invention is so much more. Honestly, I still don't eat the real sisig version. What she usually had in the table is made of chicken liver, which is readily available here at supermarkets. And because it's the only thing I could imagine that's staple :p


Empanada
I've acquired Latin friends more than I mingle with Japanese people. It's not only because Latin language is easy for me to articulate. But because of our common love for food, and the almost similarities in our dishes. When I make empanada, I buy my dough at a Brazilian store, and so with the beef-filling that I stuff inside. 


Hopia
I like mine in ube flavors.


Leche Flan
I want my creme caramel in a Spanish way. More egg yolks and condensed (sweetened) milk. The best!


Halo-halo
Shaved ice and milk added with ingredients that vary widely... ube jam, leche flan, red mung beans, fruits and more fruits of your choice, then ice cream to top it all. Best dessert!


Polvoron
Andalusian shortbread of Levantine origin, that is made of flour, milk, nuts and sugar. These days there are a lot of local variants made from the traditional recipe.



No comments: