Thursday, 18 March 2010

Clarya


I miss Grammer!

     

We have numerous names for our grandmother, and she in return has peculiar names to label us. When we make introduction to our friends that she just met, she would be the grandlola or grammer (shorter term for grandmother). But among relatives, she will always be our Nanay (Tagalog for mother).


Grammer is the coolest person I know, despite her age. She is the mahjong queen at their subdivision, apart from being the dancing and singing sensation as a barangay chairwoman. If you don't find her at the mahjong table, you will definitely see her swaying her hips to the tango or holding a mic serenading you a Pilita Corales' song. And this is the main reason my friends would usually tease me to render them my own Pilita style. I get it from the grannie-goose.


I bet you might be wondering what Clarya stands for. Because we are four Maria Claras in the family, and she is fond of summoning each of us in Clara. Clarya is when she meant to reprimand us not to act señorita around the house.

Grammer doesn't only treat us to dine out. It could be early in the morning she will phone you to have breakfast somewhere. Or in the midnight, when she feels like wanting some Chinese soup and hot bread. And of course, the balut vendor won't have to leave us until our avidity for the pitiful fetal duck eggs were gratified. She is a real treat!

I adore her penchant for details and colors. She is imeldific herself. It should always be terno the color of her dress to the shade of her shoes. And I wouldn't have to miss her shopping spree. Whatever she buys, I also have mine to take home.

Ahhh, the joys of having Grammer around. Even if it irritated me when she'd bawl out my name in Mariela, I would know we're in truce for something. But I love her just like that.



No comments: